Bunker surveying is performed to independently check and determine that the quantity of bunker fuel delivered by a barge and the quantity of fuel received by a vessel are within an acceptable tolerance (generally 0.5%). If the variance is too high, the bunker surveyor must track down the cause of the discrepancy.
Bunker surveying can involve a range of issues, including:
- Comparing current onboard fuel quantities with initial quantities, and controlling for discrepancies
- Reviewing fuel gauging equipment for accuracy
- Verifying safety procedures
- Thorough gauging of barge and vessel tanks
- Providing full documentation throughout all processes
Because of the level of scrutiny and detail required in measurement and documentation, you can’t afford to go with an inexperienced surveyor. By trusting the experts at Vessel Blenders, you’ll be using a best-in-class company with extensive experience in managing and measuring cargoes on oceangoing vessels and barges. Our team has the training and experience to provide the accuracy you need on every bunkering survey, every time.